The following email was sent on 2/28/22 to Champlain College Online May 2022 graduates.
Dear Champlain Students,
We are looking forward to Champlain College’s Commencement 2022 on Saturday, May 14! We’re inviting you to consider speaking on behalf of your classmates during the 2022 Commencement ceremony. Do you feel like you can inspire and celebrate the Class of 2022? If so, we encourage you to submit an application by Friday, March 25.
The Commencement Committee is hosting a Student Speaker informational session on Wednesday, March 2, from 4:00–4:30 PM. While it is not necessary to attend this session to be considered for speaking, you will gain an opportunity to address any questions you may have about this process. Here is the Zoom link to access this session: https://champlainonline.zoom.us/j/97499348120
Guidelines for being a student speaker are included below. A committee of faculty and staff will review all submissions and a student speaker will be chosen in April. If you have questions or need additional information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Provost and Chief Academic Officer
|STUDENT COMMENCEMENT SPEAKER CONSIDERATIONS|
To be considered for Student Commencement Speaker, applicants must:
– Be in good academic standing
– Be willing to work with our professional staff to refine and rehearse the final speech in the days leading up to Commencement
|A Student Commencement Speech submission includes:|
– A complete online application form
– A draft script of 3-4 minutes of original content
– A sample video uploaded of you delivering your speech in a quiet space with clear audio
|Elements of a successful Student Commencement Speech can include:|
– A message that inspires, encourages, and reflects the vision and hopes of the graduates
– A compelling story that incorporates your Champlain College experience (e.g., volunteerism, balancing work/school, involvement in the community, overcoming hurdles, taking risks, a transcendent learning experience, or other)
– A message that appeals to a diverse audience of graduates, families, and friends and that is substantive, meaningful, entertaining, and suitable to the occasion
– A clear and cohesive organization of ideas and messages
– A delivery that includes eye contact, poise, vocal, and visual presentation