Dear Graduating Student:
On Saturday, May 15, we will be hosting Champlain College’s Commencement 2021. We are planning a meaningful, personal, and memorable ceremony that lifts up your class, showcases your years at Champlain, and includes our many commencement traditions. One of the traditions that makes the ceremony special is to feature a student speaker from your graduating class.
We’re inviting you to consider speaking on behalf of your classmates during the 2021 Commencement ceremony. Do you feel like you can inspire and motivate the Class of 2021? If so, we encourage you to submit an application or encourage a fellow student to apply by Tuesday, March 23.
To be considered for Student Commencement Speaker, applicants must:
- Have earned a current GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Be in good academic standing
- Have displayed good citizenship while a student
- Be mindful of the audience including a diversity of graduates, families, and friends
- Be willing to work virtually with our professional staff to refine the final speech, and rehearse delivery in the days leading up to commencement.
Guidelines for a Student Commencement Speech submission include:
- A complete online application form
- A draft script of approximately five minutes of original content
- A sample video uploaded of you delivering the speech in a quiet space with clear audio
Elements of a successful Student Commencement Speech can include:
- A message that inspires, encourages, and reflects the vision and hopes of the graduates.
- A compelling story that incorporates your Champlain College experience (e.g., volunteerism, balancing work/school, involvement in community, overcoming hurdles, taking risks, a transcendent learning experience, or other).
- A message that appeals to a diverse audience of graduates, families, and friends and that is substantive, meaningful, entertaining, and suitable to the occasion.
- A clear and cohesive organization of ideas and message.
- A delivery that includes eye contact, poise, vocal and visual presentation.
What you need to do:
Submit this online application by Tuesday, March 23. A committee of faculty and staff will review all submissions and a graduating student speaker will be chosen by mid-April, 2021. If you have questions or need additional information please contact email@example.com.
VP for Student Affairs