CJ Peterson On Taking Her Career to the Next Level While Succeeding in a Demanding, Full-Time Position

Champlain College Online student, CJ Peterson, champions the Master of Business Administration degree with a concentration in Information Security. 

Juggling life’s challenges can be hard enough, but Champlain College Online students like CJ Peterson prove that continuing your education while working in a demanding career field is a rewarding endeavor. 

Born on the west coast and raised in Minnesota, travel has become one of the most important things in CJ Peterson’s life. On this, she quotes Mark Twain: “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.” 

Peterson has certainly not been vegetating. She explored much of the United States while attending college in North Dakota, as well as participating in Walt Disney World’s college program in 2003. After working in Vermont and earning her Bachelor of Engineering and Business Management, she now resides near Washington, D.C. and works in a position that collaborates with law enforcement and the intelligence community. 

A photo of Peterson from her undergraduate Commencement at Champlain.

The importance of public service is something Peterson does not take lightly. “The decisions that I make on a daily basis greatly affect [individual Americans] and the American people as a whole,” she says. “I am proud of the work that I do.” To describe her responsibilities, Peterson explains that her duties, put simply, are “conducting administrative investigations.”

Besides taking on the responsibilities of her job, Peterson also worked diligently to earn her Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree with a concentration in Information Security. “I cannot stress enough how pleased I have been with the program,” says Peterson. “I’m Champlain’s cheerleader around my office!“

CJ Peterson chose Champlain College Online’s MBA program because it aligned with her interests and provided a well-rounded education that would help her grow not only as an academic, but as a leader in the real world. “I have thoroughly enjoyed my MBA program; this program supported me in taking my career and learning to the next level through the development of enhanced leadership skills and business acumen. Ultimately, my degree and the skills I developed while at Champlain led to a significant promotion and expanded career opportunities. Even more importantly, it has provided me with tools to support my fellow citizens by promoting strong management and cybersecurity principles within my industry.”

My degree and the skills I developed while at Champlain led to a significant promotion and expanded career opportunities. Even more importantly, it has provided me with tools to support my fellow citizens by promoting strong management and cybersecurity principles within my industry.

CJ Peterson ’20 // Master of Business Administration

For anyone considering juggling online coursework and a demanding career, Peterson recommends developing clear expectations and effective time management skills tailored to meet individual and family needs before starting your degree. Additionally, Peterson wants incoming Champlain College Online students to know that engagement fosters success, and encourages new students to connect with classmates early on. “Even if it feels like you don’t have as much experience as others, I guarantee you have a lot to offer during conversations,” she says. “Learning from other students with diverse backgrounds and experiences has been one of my favorite things about Champlain. It helps the coursework really come alive.” 

In her spare time, Peterson enjoys spending time with family and friends, traveling, home remodeling, horology, and exploring the National Capital Region. 

More Online Undergraduates & Master's
How to Stay Connected to Champlain College as Alumni
How to Set Up Your Tech to Watch Champlain’s Virtual Commencement
How to Wear a Master’s Hood During Commencement